Monday, January 14, 2008

mango madness


Can we discuss my love for mangos for a minute please. I love mangos. They make me happy. They are a bitch to eat but such a joy.

It’s mango season and I couldn’t be happier. Mangos growing from trees at my home, at my office, on some of the streets I walk down. Mangos for sale everywhere I go – shops, vendors, in baskets being balanced on women’s heads. Each mango (if not picked from a tree) is E1. That’s about $0.07.

Before coming here I wasn’t really sure how to each a mango. I’d cut them in half, try and twist the two halves apart and mangle the insides in varying ways. Sometimes I’d peel it. Peeling it is ok and perfectly acceptable. A lot of people here eat the skin for added nutrients. I’ve joined the ranks of mango peel eating. I eat them like apples. The juice runs down my arms. My hands and face are sticky. I get rind in my teeth. I laugh. I’m happy. I love mangos.

1 comment:

Karlos said...

I too love mangoes, Katie! I think they're comparable to sex. After a good mango you're left temporarily satisfied, a bit sticky and amazed that something so good is naturally great for you! Sigh!!! I haven't had a good mango in a while!!!