Thursday, January 31, 2008

I had a really good conversation with my co-worker zanele re: race issues in swaziland. I was trying to formulate why I was so angry with the way I see life here. Despite trying to observe everything without employing a western lens, I just can’t come to grips with race relations here. We talked for quite some time and as I was speaking I began to realize that you can’t discuss race as a separate entity; it is too interconnected with too many other issues to be observed alone. I realized that I’m more upset with capitalism and the disparity between classes than with race relations. Can either be examined alone – no- are both bouncing off of each other – absolutely.

I have yet to see a poor white person here (although I’m sure there are whites living in poverty in South Africa). Going into rural areas all I see is the poverty that exists there. Children wearing old and tattered clothes, food aid programs, shacks and mud huts falling apart, men and women selling anything possible at their stalls. 69% of the population lives below the poverty line. I never really understood poverty until I came here. Yes, there is poverty in Canada but not like here. It’s every where you go. It’s in my face so much I sometimes don’t even see it. And it is black Swazis who live in it. Hence my anger or frustration towards white Swazis.

White families employ black maids (so do black families though). I’ve never seen a white person working a low skilled, low paying job. I’ve never seen one taking public transport (unless it’s another Canadian volunteer…I’m serious). They own or manage businesses. Employ locals at low rates. Own a lot of the farms. This colliding of white/black rich/poor is so hard for me to understand.

I hate the way this blog entry sounds. I just can’t seem to get out what I want to say. Perhaps I haven’t spent enough really thinking about it.

6 comments:

kate L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kate L said...

I don't know if it's the same in Canada, but that's something I've noticed being back in New Zealand - how different cultures predominate different socio-economic classes. I noticed it particularly when teaching in different high schools in different areas and I was quite shocked. The high decile schools are full of white and Asian kids, the low decile schools are full of Pacific Island and Maori kids. I always thought of NZ as having a huge middle class and very little poverty or great wealth. But I really think things have changed massively within the last two decades. As one teacher I was talking to at a low decile school put it, the difference between low and high decile high schools and their resources, environment etc. is 'disgusting'. Of course it might not be as extreme as Africa but in some ways I think that that is dangerous because it's so subtle people don't even notice it or admit it here. It's like people walk around wearing blinkers.

i'm a fara girl ('fara' means JOYOUS in Shona) said...

thanks for the post kate. i wouldn't say its cultures that predominate different socio-economic classes here as its more of a race thing. but then are race and culture so different here? it's so frightening. i'm sure it's the same in canada as in nz, as yes, people are bling to it.

Lorax Girl said...

http://www.cbc.ca/newsinreview/dec97/coleharb/index.html Copy and paste this link... race issues are relevant in Canada. I lived through 2 1/2yrs of racial fights while in High School.

And... ps-it is more an attitude and socio-economic issue.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts KATIE and KATE

i'm a fara girl ('fara' means JOYOUS in Shona) said...

ps. aren't attitudes and socio-economic realities a product of culture?

Lorax Girl said...

I agree that its a product of culture and endorse more so the details that resonate the loudest with me.... the socio-economic divide that plagues EVERY community.